|[Home]||[Who we are]||[Research]||[Education]||[Tools]||[Partnerships]||[Networking]||[Join/Contribute]||[Support]||[Board of Directors]||[Locator]||[News]|
|National Association of Hepatitis Task Forces: News: Adult Stem Cells in Action|
Adult stem cells in action!
Bone marrow stem cells were converted into healthy liver cells and helped to reverse liver damage. This exciting research was done by the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center. This study was done with mice, but a human trial can't be far behind.
There is a bill in the House that will allow federal funding on new stem cell lines. It is very important that we contact our Representatives in the House and ask each of them to support this bill, HR 4682. We can help this bill get passed.
Your help is needed to get the restrictions on federal funding of new stem cell lines removed. SSSCR is urging each of our members to contact her/his Representative on August 9. Many of us have not done this before, so over the next week, we will be sending out detailed instructions via email on how to do this. One phone call can be the deciding factor in getting a Representative's support. Our Congresspersons needs us to make them aware of the issues that matter to their constituents. With the increased exposure that stem cell research has been receiving in the news, we can not afford to let this opportunity slip by. It only takes a minute or two and the first step of gathering the contact info is outlined below.
Let's do it for those suffering from disease and disability. Let's do it, so that we can speed up the progress of research. Let's do it for our careers.
The following link will take you to House members' contact info. To Find your Congressperson click this link.
Enter your Address
Follow your member's link
This should provide you with the complete contact info for your House member.
Please cut and paste and return the following information via email to SSSCR.
We will record this data for FFR.
2. email address
3. Fax # DC
4. Fax # District/home office
5. Phone # DC
6. Phone # District/home office
So far House member contact info has been returned by:
Allison Venable University of Georgia Jayant Menon UCLA Liana Paris Brown University Woojin Chong Suny College Jena Midulla University of South Florida Sabrina Cohen
Thank you very much. Good job!
Fact on this bill follows.
Marion J. Riggs
The "Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act"
- No federal funds shall be used to derive stem cells or destroy embryos.
- Research on stem cell lines derived after August 9, 2001 shall be eligible for federal funding.
- Directs the Secretary to support appropriate research on stem cell lines derived from embryos that meet the following criteria:
1. Embryos were originally created for fertility treatment purposes and are in excess of clinical need;
2. The individuals seeking fertility treatments for whom the embryos were created have determined that the embryos will not be implanted in a woman and will be discarded; and
3. The individuals for whom the embryos were created have provided written consent for embryo donation.
Contact persons for inquiries or co-sponsorship:
Elizabeth Wenk in Rep. Castle's office (5-4165)
Meghan Taira in Rep. DeGette's office (5-4431)